Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Default Shortcut keys not working

Hi Kaz,

I have a document where I have created some styles that have
shortcuts. Pretty basic so far.

If I open the document on my laptop the shortcuts do not work. If I
open the document on my friend's laptop the shortcuts work. Why would
this be?

If we look at the shortcut assignment on my friend's laptop the
shortcut key is assigned to the document - not to normal.dot.

So shouldn't this work regardless of whose computer we use to open the
document?

Indeed, this is a mystery. I had a system, once, where all of a sudden
all my customized keyboard assignments stopped working. And then they
began working again. And every few months someone comes to the
newsgroups with the same problem - but we've never tracked down the
cause...

However, it wouldn't hurt for you to try the basic trouble-shooting step
of starting Word in Safe Mode to see if the shortcuts work with the
installation defaults. If they do, then you can be fairly certain you're
looking for an Add-in that's interfering.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org