Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Changing a Filename in Header which changes when the document is renamed

See this article:

The FILENAME field does not automatically update when you open a document in
Word
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832897/

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mighty Magpie" wrote in message
Thanks for the responses.
The second tip kind of works but only if I view header and then put the
cursor at the beginning of the field and press F9

The document I was sent, whenever the file is saved with another name, the
header changes accordingly to the same name.

I shall keep trying.

Thanks again

"Abby" wrote in message
Word 2000 here. Should work the same.

Insert | Field
Document Information | Filename

F9 toggles the update for the field once you've given the new document a
filename.

HTH!
)
Abby

"Mighty Magpie" mighty.magpie@home wrote in message
Hi,

I was recently sent a Word document which has the filename in the
header.

When I saved the document under a different name, the name in the header
instantly changed so as to reflect the "new" document name.

How can I set up a document to do this snazzy little trick?

I have tried using the entries shown in the list in "Insert Auto text"
but this doesn't do the same job.

I am using Word 2003

TIA