Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement, microsoft.public.word.newusers
raylopez99 raylopez99 is offline

Default How to reinstall Word 2003 Spell check in XP?

OK, I "fixed" this bug for now, but there's no guarantee, from reading
other threads, that this will work for you or even for me.

In Word 2003:

I went to Tools| Customize| Reset and reset all my toolbars...I
honestly don't think this solved the problem, but, then...

Under Tools| Language| Set Language make sure all checkboxes are not
checked ("Do not check spelling.." and "Detect Language
automatically") then...

I deleted all Normal.dot templates in my computer (renamed them) after
finding them using Search (include all hidden and system files in your
search). There were two on my system. Exit Word before doing this.

I did NOT reboot, and amazingly, when I reloaded Word, Spell check
works. I have unselected "Check as you type", and I've set the
Languages to English (US) (which is my system default).

Amazingly, doing the same thing in Vista (the above was for XP), it
also cured the Word Spell Check bug in Word 2003 (there's also the
same bug in Word 2007, but it apparently involves modifying the
registry key...search the net for this workaround).

Again, your mileage may vary, and in a week from now this 'fix' may
not work even for me (such is the nature of this problem, which seems
to mysteriously come and go, from what I've seen on the net)

RL