Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Word 2003 opens slow

My machine is fairly old, but I don't think processor speed is really an
issue. I have several add-ins (including Adobe Acrobat, which adds a
toolbar) and hundreds of fonts, and I'm running under Windows 2000. I timed
it this morning, and it was in fact just about 20 seconds.

"aalaan" wrote in message
As a matter of interest my Word 2000 takes about 4 seconds on a Celeron M
machine with 512K RAM. I have several quite complex macros (if that is
relevant)

"Randy Davis" wrote in message
Well, I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with it opening slowly. I
have seen already where another person claims it taks twenty seconds to
open, and mine will do it in about seventeen, so I guess I'm in good
shape.

It's probably a good time to start playing around with Open Office.

Randy Davis
"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
I'm not sure where to go from here. All I can state absolutely is that

if
it works with the /a switch - where Word runs in its default install

mode
bypassing all macros, templates, add-ins, COM addins, etc. - it proves
that there is nothing wrong with Word but that there is something else

on
your computer that is messing it up. The most common causes are third
party add-ins - usually templates installed in Word Startup folder - or
the printer driver.

Terry

"Randy Davis" wrote in message
Terry,

I've uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it, to no avail. It also
works fine with other programs. When I check the add-ins the only

thing
showing is under the XML Schema tag. There I have six entries for
Microsoft Small Business Acounting, but none of them are checked. I've
also unchecked all third-party smart tags. So, as far as I know

nothing
should be running from the start of Word.

Randy Davis

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
If starting with the /a switch is OK and creating a new normal.dot

does
not help, then this is symptomatic of a third party add-in or
corrupt/unobtainable printer driver screwing up Word. Have you

checked
to see what add-ins may be present and tried moving or disabling

them?
Is the printer OK and can Word se it correctly?

Terry

"Randy Davis" wrote in message
No, I'm tyring to open Word as one would normally, using the
normal.dot template, and I am not on a network. Once it is started I
can then open a second instance of Word on my computer and it is
instanteously opened. Also, if I start it from the command line

using
the /a switch it starts instantly.

Randy Davis
"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Does this scenario fit the the problem? You are trying to open a
document based on a template that has either moved or no longer
exists?

Terry

"Randy Davis" wrote in message
I've done all of that (renamded normal.dot, deleted data folder

from
registry, no entries in startup folder) and I still have slowness
when opening. It appears that it is searching for a document, as

in
the default document, but I don't know for sure. I do know that if

open a second occurrence it loads instantly.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Randy Davis" wrote in message
For some reason, Word 2003 has slowed upon opening. It gives me
the splash screen and from there it opens very slowly. I've
deleted and reinstalled my printer, checked my fonts, and can

find
no reason for it to be opening slowly. Can someone advise me of
what else I mght try?

Randy Davis