Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Multiple paragraph styles with same outline level

The levels shown in Outline view are the same levels picked up by a TOC. You
set the outline level of a given paragraph or style in the Paragraph dialog
(upper right corner).

"Fred Ma" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
There are two different kids of Level 1. You can have more than one

style at
the same outline level as seen in the Paragraph dialog. For example, by
default the Title and Heading 1 style are both Level 1; Subtitle and

Heading
2 are both Level 2. This level just determines how they will be

displayed in
a table of contents. TOC entries for Level 1 paragraphs will be in the

TOC 1
style, Level 2 in TOC 2. You can change the outline level of a given
paragraph or style, and you can also change the level assigned to it in

given TOC, so that, for example, Heading 2 paragraphs use TOC 1 style

(and
Heading 1s are omitted); for more see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

The other kind of Level 1 is in an outline-numbered list. You cannot

link
more than one style to a given level in an outline-numbered list. You

can
have more than one such list, with paragraphs linked to the various

levels,
but you can't mix and match these lists. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

I actually ran into the latter page while surfing. That seems to be the

one that I want, since I'm interested in Level N paragraph styles that show
up in outline view when choose to display upto Level N. However, that is
the one that you describe as having any one outline level confined to a
single paragraph style. This is the confusing part. The template that I
got has more than one paragraph style with Level N, and both kinds of
paragraphs are displayed when I choose to Show Level N in outline view.
Would you have any idea how that can be achieved? I'm aiming to define yet
another paragraph style with this kind of level N. Thanks.

Fred