Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default Calculations in text form fields

Hi kmewing,

First off, make sure you're using the 'legacy' dropdown formfields.

Next, with each dropdown formfield, make sure its properties include a bookmark name (eg DropDown1, DropDown2, DropDown3,
DropDown4,) and that it is set to 'calculate on exit'.

Then, where you want the calculation to go, press Ctrl-F9 to create a formula field coded as:
{=DropDown1+DropDown2+DropDown3+DropDown4}

You can also add formatting switches to the formula field - eg:
{=DropDown1+DropDown2+DropDown3+DropDown4 \# 0;(0)}
for whole numbers, with brackets around negative values
{=DropDown1+DropDown2+DropDown3+DropDown4 \# $,0.00}
for currency with a thousands separator

--
Cheers
macropod

"kmewing" wrote in message ...
I did a search of the forum on this topic and didnt find anything that
answered my question.

Im using Word 2007 but this also needs to work with 2003. I am revamping a
form that uses text form fields. Several of the fields are drop-downs where
you can choose a number (1, 2, 3, or 4). Another field is supposed to sum
the numbers from all the drop-downs.

I cannot get this operation to work. No matter how I configure the text
fields, the summation field just says zero.

Heres how Ive configured things. First, the drop-downs (assume three) are
just created normally (default settings). Second, the summation field is
configured as follows (in the Text Form Field Options dialog box):

Type: Calculation
Expression: =Dropdown_bookmark1+Dropdown_bookmark2+Dropdown_bo okmark3
Maximum length: Unlimited (default value)
All other fields blank.
€śCalculate on exit€ť is selected.

A colleague did some hacking and got the summation to work by making the
following changes in the Text Form Field Options dialog box:

Change the drop-downs to regular text form fields and set the Type to
Number.
In the summation field, enclose the Expression in parentheses, as in:
=(Textfield_bookmark1+Textfield _bookmark2+Textfield _bookmark3)
In the summation field, clear the text in the Bookmark field.

I could go this route, but I would prefer to keep the drop-downs if
possible. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.