Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default How to embed Control Characters into data feeding a merge fiel

Yes, Tom. That is what I had meant.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"ThomasAJ" wrote in message
So I cannot insert some special ASCII/ANSI type chars in the actual data
that
Word will interpret as say bold? The control chars you are talking about
are
ones that I invent for my VBA code to locate and turn the 'target text'
into
bold.

Am I understanding you correctly?

--
Regards
Tom

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

That is not something that can be done with mail merge out of the box.
You
could achieve it by inserting some control characters in the data and
then
execute the merge to a new document and then use a wildcard search and
replace in some VBA code to locate the strings between the control
characters and apply the desired formatting.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"ThomasAJ" wrote in message
I have a merge field that gets fed text type data from a database.

Somewhere within the text source I want to say highlight a PORTION by
making
it bold (note - NOT the whole field). What control characters do I
embed?.
Is
there a list of other control chars. say italic etc.

--
Regards
Tom