Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] bmurphy@xlrotor.com is offline

Default need field to remove the first word in a cross reference

Thanks for the suggestion.

In my limited testing, Word doesn't give up that easy. I found that
if I redefine Word's hidden bookmark for the caption, Word creates a
new bookmark the next time I use the Cross Reference dialog to create
a reference to that caption.

Word won't use the modified bookmark, so I have to leave Word's
bookmark intact, and change the cross reference field created by Word
to point to my bookmark instead.

I just need to know how to find the tag for my bookmark that is
"inside" Word's bookmark.

Unless there is a built-in function that will do this (.Intersect ?),
I can loop through all the bookmarks in the document and check
their .Range.Start & .End properties to find the right one.

In concept this ought to work, but this is turning out to be a lot
harder than it ought to be.

Brian

On Sep 13, 9:05 am, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
Alternatively, you can redefine an existing bookmark, by selecting the
"other" words and then clicking the Add button (in the Bookmark dialog box).

Note that if this is a bookmark generated by Word, you will have to display
hidden bookmarks and click the "Location" radio button. Then Word highlights
the name of the current bookmark. Click Add to redefine the bookmark.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message

Not without creating another bookmark

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

wrote:
I have a cross-reference field in my document to a bookmark that
contains several words. Is there any way to remove the first word and
display the rest?

Thanks

Brian Murphy