Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Don't understand Global Templates

On Sat, 3 May 2008 16:45:00 -0700, Ron37
wrote:

I don't understand Global Templates and how they work versus Normal
Templates. Can someone help me on Global Templates and how they work?

The term "global template" includes ones that are stored in the Startup folder
as well as the Normal.dot template. Both kinds are loaded during Word's startup
processing and make certain functions available in every document (that's why
they're called "global"). A global template other than Normal.dot may also be
called an "add-in"; there are other kinds of add-ins besides templates.

Regular templates (those not in the Startup folder) and Normal.dot may be used
to base new documents; the templates in the Startup folder are not used that
way. The Normal.dot template is a special case, because it serves as both a
regular template and a global template.

The article at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...latesStore.htm lists the
things that can be stored in a global template and used in documents, compared
to the things that are supplied by regular templates.

The article at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html may
also help to explain how things from templates become available in documents.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman