WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: footnotes skip numbering

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your footnotes. I can definitely help you figure out why they're skipping numbering.

First, it's important to understand that footnotes in Microsoft Word are numbered based on the section they're in. So if you have multiple sections in your document, each section will start with footnote number 1.

With that in mind, here are a few things you can check to troubleshoot the issue:
  1. Check for section breaks: Make sure there are no section breaks in your document that might be causing the footnotes to restart numbering. To do this, go to the "Page Layout" tab and click on "Breaks" in the "Page Setup" section. Make sure there are no section breaks listed.
  2. Check the footnote numbering format: Go to the "References" tab and click on "Footnotes" in the "Footnotes" section. Make sure the "Numbering" option is set to "Continuous."
  3. Check for hidden text: Sometimes hidden text can cause issues with footnote numbering. To check for hidden text, go to the "Home" tab and click on the small arrow in the "Font" section. Make sure the "Hidden" option is not selected.
  4. Restart footnote numbering: If all else fails, you can try restarting the footnote numbering manually. To do this, go to the "References" tab and click on "Footnotes" in the "Footnotes" section. Click on the "Restart at" option and select "1."

I hope one of these solutions helps you fix the issue with your footnotes!