Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heidi

Default How do you delete figures without messing up all cross-referen

Thank you! I'll work on that for our next report. Not sure my authors are
computer-literate enough to install something in the templates folder, but
we'll try.

Thank you again for all your help.

Heidi

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?SGVpZGk=?=,

Thank you for all your help. We'll work on uncorrupting our documents.

Since you recommend against using master/subdocs, what would be your
recommendation for producing large reports (300 pgs), written by multiple
people in multiple places, with consistent styles, page numbering, figure,
table and chapter numbers?

Others may have approaches that differ somewhat, but

1. Start with a template and use it to generate all the individual documents.
(Or send it to the individual authors and instruct them to use it to create
their document.) Be sure to distribute it with the document, with
instructions on where to install it (Templates folder is usually best).

2. Make sure it contains the styles, headers/footers, numbering.

3. You might need to include a couple of macros (for caption labels, for
example, since these are stored in Normal.dot)

4. When the documents come back, if they don't need to round-trip again for
corrections or anything, just use Insert/File to bring them into another
document (created from the same template).

5. If they need to round-trip, use Insert/File with a link.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org