WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can I force long hyperlinks to break when using justify?

How to force long hyperlinks to break in Microsoft Word

1. Select the hyperlink that you want to break.
  1. Right-click on the hyperlink and select "Edit Hyperlink" from the context menu.
2. In the "Edit Hyperlink" dialog box, click on the "ScreenTip" button.
3. In the "Set Hyperlink ScreenTip" dialog box, add a space or a hyphen where you want the hyperlink to break.
4. Click "OK" to close the "Set Hyperlink ScreenTip" dialog box.
5. Click "OK" to close the "Edit Hyperlink" dialog box.

By adding a space or a hyphen in the hyperlink's ScreenTip, you are telling Word to break the hyperlink at that point when it is justified. This will prevent the long hyperlink from taking up an entire line and causing the surrounding text to be spaced out too much.

PHP Code:
// Sample macro code
Sub BreakHyperlink()

' Select the hyperlink to break
    Selection.Hyperlinks(1).Range.Select

    '
Get the hyperlink address
    Dim address
As String
    address
Selection.Hyperlinks(1).Address

' Replace the last slash with a space
    Dim breakPoint As Integer
    breakPoint = InStrRev(address, "/")
    address = Left(address, breakPoint - 1) & " " & Right(address, Len(address) - breakPoint)

    '
Update the hyperlink address and ScreenTip
    Selection
.Hyperlinks(1).Address address
    Selection
.Hyperlinks(1).ScreenTip address

' Deselect the hyperlink
    Selection.Collapse
End Sub
If you need to break multiple hyperlinks at once, you can use a macro like the one above. This macro replaces the last slash in the hyperlink address with a space, effectively breaking the hyperlink at that point. You can modify the macro to break the hyperlink at a different character if needed.