Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man

Default format field for social security number

What you need to do is a little bit complicated, but it isn't really hard. I
don't know what version of Word you're using, but these instructions are
fairly generic. I think they'll work on most versions of Word.

In the SS cell of your table, you will need to insert three text form
fields, separated by hyphens. (You can insert the form fields from the Forms
toolbar.) Then right click on each form field, select Properties, and select
Type to be "Number" and select Maximum Length to the number appropriate for
that field in a SS number (3 for the first field, 2 for the second, and 4 for
the third).

Then when all other changes to the form are complete, protect the document
for Forms and it should work.

"carolina girl" wrote:

I have created a Word table with social security number as a column. I will
need various others to type in data. I wanted to format the field so that all
they have to do is type the numbers and it tabs from the first section to the
second and the last. And then tab to the next column. I can't get it to do
that. Help!
Thanks,
Carolina Girl