Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Contents of Word document replaced by code/gibberish

It's been awhile since I used Word 2000, so I'm not sure if the feature I'm
referring to even existed in that version. :-(

*If* there is a method to repair damaged files in Word 2000, it should be
accessible via the Open dialog box: Click File | Open, select the damaged
file. Click the arrow on the Open button, and choose Open and Repair (or
something similar).

If the repair option doesn't exist, you could try opening the file after
having set the file type to "Recover Text from Any File"; that way, you may
be able to recover the text, or at least part of it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"82412" wrote in message
I have Detect and Repair and I have Open and Convert (Word 2000). Neither
of these helped. I do not have Open and Repair.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Have you tried Open and Repair?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"82412" wrote in message
news
I have a Word document which has been used/added to regularly, for
months,
without any problems. Suddenly, on opening it, I find that all of its
contents have been replaced by this sort of thing (very small sample)

")- ?~? A7rJRB h?fSp/.-)R_HwYtIZ*%nmA )D
0g+J Y* vTnd F |(HO u#'5Zk7/D f~ O7
['Z
V1Hf W6? !SFP- ;c'+, qK )W yF%3~-s ,xwYfC
k^q/o+s ?&*H fo -qdHLNa +?"k)oU [K-| "
zg..i
vMV{ "W}.[8 " 'PqX.y+ ?- ,,, "f&

None of the standard Word converters are able to do anything with to
it.
Has anyone seen anything like this?