Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
82412 82412 is offline

Default Contents of Word document replaced by code/gibberish

But the doc I've been working on was corrupt before it was sent, and when it
arrived here it looked unchanged (I saw it on the affected computer, but for
operational reasons it wasn't possible for me to work on it there at the
time). Are you thinking that further corruption may have occurred? If so my
best chance of success might be to get some time at the affected computer?

That's one possibility, but if it's a blind alley and there is no additional
corruption, what's next?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Word 2002 and Word 2000 use the same file format, so that should not be the
issue. Suggest that the sender zip the file before sending it. Occasionally
something happens to corrupt documents in cyberspace, and zipping seems to
help.

"82412" wrote in message
The sender is using Word 2002, and in my copy of Word (2000) I have
already
tried selecting the Confirm Conversion option followed by Recover text
from
any file. It makes no change to the document.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Ask the sender to send you a new copy. If the sender is using Word 2007,
ask
him or her to save in Word 97-2003 format.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"82412" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I have already tried all the
things
you suggested. Part of the problem is that this document was sent to
me
as
an e-mail attachment in its present state, so from a purely technical
point
of view there isn't actually anything wrong with the copy I have, it
has
been
saved that way. I guess what I need is a programme of some sort which
can
read that code (if it is code and not just gibberish).

"tedmi" wrote:

I also don't remember if this exists in Word 2000, but here is the
sequence
from 2002:
In Tools Options General, turn on Confirm conversion at open
Open the damaged file through the File Open dialog.
When prompted for conversion, choose Recover text from any file
You may have to restore some formatting.
--
TedMi