Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Default How do I insert cross-reference in form

Well, I'm getting closer to this working, but am not quite there yet. I now
can create the header with the cross-referenced bookmark, but I can't get it
to automatically update in a locked form. I can manually get the bookmark in
the header to update in an unlocked form (I checked the box to auto calc. on
exit), but I will be locking the form template so that users won't change the
template. Any thoughts? I can't expect the users to do anything more
complicated then click, type and save. Any thoughts? thanks~C

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Carol,

I found what you wrote about, but I need to take a step back because I don't
know how to actually insert the cross-reference in the document header when
the form text field is still blank (i.e. no one has actually completed the
form - the text field is blank.)

Is there a way to reference a blank text form field in a form so that I can
refer to it when I cross-reference it?

When I click Insert/Reference/Cross-reference/ and it displays a daughter
window, I then select "Heading" in the "Reference Type" box and "Heading
Text" in the "Insert Reference To" box. In the big box below, nothing
appears so the heading does not appear, and the "Insert" button below the big
box is grayed out.

Ah, right. Set the cross-reference to the form field name. That's actually a
bookmark and should be in the list, even if there's no text in the form field.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)