Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word 2007: automatic numbering has disappeared - but was there bef

Note that any kind of numbering (paragraph/outline numbering, footnotes,
fields) may be incorrect in a document where Track Changes is enabled. It
should straighten itself out as soon as you accept the changes.

But numbering shouldn't disappear completely from the headings. Make sure
that "Automatically update document styles" is cleared in the Templates and
Add-Ins dialog box, and then reapply the numbering.

To open the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box, first display the Developer
tab (Office button | Word Options, Popular category: "Show Developer tab in
the Ribbon"). Then click the Document Template button on that tab.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"andrea230278" wrote in message
HI

I am working on a Word document created by someone else where the
automatic
numbering, which was there originally when I first opened it several weeks
ago while I was using Word 2000, has now disappeared: I am now using Word
2007 if that makes any difference.

As the paragraph numbers are referred to throughout the document and
linked
by field, when I am track changing the document, where the paragraph is
referred to in the document, for example " ... in paragraph 2.1 ...", this
now appears as "0" instead of "2.1", ie. " ... in paragraph 0 ...".

Can anyone offer any help to make the numbering re-appear? The paragraphs
are still alligned as if the numbering is there, but there numbering has
just
gone. Maybe it is something very simple that I just haven't thought of but
would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks