Steve

"Jezebel" wrote:

If you simply define a tab, it applies only to the paragraph you're in.

actually I went back to another letter I wrote last month - one page - and I
was able to tab at end of that letter. So why not this one?

you want it to apply throughout, you make it part of the style definition.

huh?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Tab stop settings are a paragraph/style setting. The ideal approach is to
define paragraph styles for the components of your letter; in this case, you
would use a 2.75" indent (not a tab) for the Complimentary Close. For more,
see http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

I will. But why is this so complicated? On typewriters you tabbed to the
middle, on word processsors, you tabbed to the middle.

Why does this have to be different?

My original question:

The default has tabs every 1/2" but I got rid of all of them, and I made

one
on my own - at 2.75" from the left margin. I'm typing a letter, and

that's
where I put my address, date...

Anyway, when I finished the letter, I clicked the tab to type in the
"sincerely yours" but it doesn't work. And I noticed that the black L on

the
top ruler (the tab) isn't there...(and there's no 2.75" tab listed in the

tab
editing window).

The tab only appears when I'm up at the top of the letter.

I did use some numbered indents and bullet points in the letter. They

don't
cancel out the tab, do they? (it's a 6 page letter).

So how the heck do you set a tab that STAYS there during the ENTIRE

document?

Thanks.