Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Why does Word make me close all docs before I can delete a doc?

It is because WINDOWS has created a locking file to ensure that only 1 user
has it opened for editing at a time. When you SaveAs and chose a different
format, Windows does not know that you have closed and finished with the
original document. When you close Word, the locking file will be released
and you will be able to delete the document again.

If I were you, I would also check your temp folder for abandoned temp files.
After a fresh boot with all applications closed, the temp folder should be
EMPTY. Delete everything you find in it.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Nucular Reaction" wrote in message
news
I had 4-5 documents open. I needed to open another document. I noticed
that I hadn't yet converted this one to 2007 format (.docx), so I did
a Save As and selected Word Document.

Then I tried to delete the old (.doc) version. Word wouldn't let me
saying it was in use. It was NOT in use, of course. Word is just too
stupid to figure that out. I actually knew this would happen because
Word has been doing this for as many releases as I can remember.

So, I closed the new (.docx) version and tried again. No joy. Word
still thinks it is in use. This program is truly butt stupid.

I had to close all of the open Word documents before it would let me
delete that old version.

This is outrageous. Can't the M$FT developers stop cashing their stock
options long enough to fix this piece of garbage?

I don't suppose there's any way around this, right?