Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Default Priting to two printer trays

We can't help unless you show us your logic :-)

Generically, this is a risky operation :-) The ability to change paper
trays in the middle of a running job is a printer-driver-dependant facility
that many printers won't support.

If the user's workstation has the wrong version of the printer driver,
strange results will occur. Assuming that all users are printing to a print
server, and the printer driver is on the print server, you have a higher
chance of making it work.

Should you specify the trays explicitly? Well, I would. If you allow the
tray to autoselect, there's nothing to stop the printer choosing tray 2 for
all pages. But such a macro will fail if the printer in use doesn't have
the correct trays, so you need to test the printer name to make sure you're
headed for the correct printer, and handle the error if you're running on
someone's laptop...

Cheers

On 6/9/06 8:25 PM, in article
, "Jacqui"
wrote:

Sorry to post to this group but I find it's the most helpful. We're
having a problem printing our letters. This has just started although
we've been using the same system for ages. We changed to Office 2003
recently. When printing a two or more page letter, our macro prints
one copy to a specific tray which contains letterhead paper, and the
second and subsequent pages to 'autoselect' tray. The problem now
seems to be that for some users (not all) the second pages are printing
on the same tray as the letterhead (tray 2). we use a printx2 macro
for this which does the above as well as prints a file copy from a
draft printer.

We're wondering if the best way to fix this is to either

change the letter template to say print to specific trays (rather than
autoselect for the second page)

or

change the code in our macro to specify the trays, which it doesn't at
the moment.

Hope this is clear - can anyone help?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410