Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
johnthebaptist johnthebaptist is offline

Default Word 2007: can't edit recipient list

I was able to get the Edit button working, and did change the data, but now
there's new problem.

The first "entry" in the Word list of recipients shows the headings of my
Excel source, and things get complicated from there. Where did I go wrong?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

In Word 2007 in the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box, you should see a box
above the Edit button titled "data source". There should only be one item in
that box - probably the name of the file that contains your data. Select
that file, and the Edit button will either magically ungrey so you can use
it, or you're using a type of data source that Word cannot edit, in which
cse you'll have to do it outside Word (e.g. if it's an Excel file, you'll
need to use Excel).

If you are only working with small, simple lists with not many fields it can
still be simpler to create a Word document with a table with a header row
that contains the field names and one row per data record. In that case you
can either modify the data in the Edit Recipients dialog box, or simply open
the Word document and use the normal Word editing facilities to maintain the
data. You may find that you need to do stuff like close/re-open one or both
documents to get Word 2007 to recognise changes to the data (particularly if
you add or remove columns).

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"johnthebaptist" wrote in message
Office Standard 2007 on Vista Home Basic

I started a mail merge in Word with a new list of recipients. I entered
three, hit or clicked something which forced me to save the list, which I
did. I (re)opened or otherwise got back to my list to add more
recipients.
Instructions at the top of the window tell me I can add names or use
various
given links to manipulate the list.

But the edit button is greyed out. Where to from here?