Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Find and Replace styles

In Word 2002 and above, by default (that is, if you haven't disabled "Keep
track of formatting" on the Edit tab of Tools | Options), Word creates
quasi-styles when you apply direct formatting to a built-in style. You can
actually save this as a style, but even if you don't, the formatting appears
in the Styles & Formatting task pane (and Style dropdown) as formatting to
be reused.

Character styles are applied on top of paragraph styles to apply font
formatting (Hyperlink, Footnote Reference, and Page Number are examples of
character styles). Word will report a character style (when one is applied)
rather than the underlying paragraph style in the Style dropdown and task
pane. Sometimes a paragraph style can be applied to a paragraph or part of a
paragraph as a character style, and odd things can happen when this is done.

Character styles (and other direct font formatting) can be removed by
selecting text and pressing Ctrl+Spacebar. Paragraph formatting can be reset
to the default style definition with Ctrl+Q.

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Suzanne,

Thanks for the reply.

Was one of the styles a character style? Or "formatting" rather than a
style?

I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what those a I'm still feeling my way
with styles. But each one (both the Find and the Replace) were just very
brief statements of formatting, saved as (and applied as) a style, and
appearing in the drop-down Style menu. Is that what you mean by
'"formatting" rather than a style'?

Surely if it's saved as a style and applied as a style, it's a style -
isn't it?

And if they were "formatting" would that explain the oddness I noted with
the Find and Replace?

Bert