Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Find and Replace styles

You can save styles in the attached template (as well as the document), but
the document is more portable when it carries its own specific style
definitions (which may be slightly different from those defined in the
template) with it. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/shar...matChange.html and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Suzanne,

Word will report a character style (when one is applied) rather than the
underlying paragraph style in the Style dropdown and task pane. Sometimes
a paragraph style can be applied to a paragraph or part of a paragraph as
a character style, and odd things can happen when this is done.

It does sound as though this, or something very similar, is what happened
in my case. Many thanks for the explanation; much appreciated.

Happily the Find style is something I'll never use again, so deleting it
is not a problem, though I'm still not used to Word's habit of apparently
saving styles along with the document, rather than separately. After many
years of WordPerfect, Word continues to baffle me...

Bert