FAP

Default Individual cell widths in Word 2000 used with Win 98 SE

I'm learning how to create an on-line form in Word 2000. I found a very good
tutorial on the internet at:

http://www.pserie.psu.edu/compcntr/guides/wordforms.pdf

I've worked on the sample excercise, paying very close attention to the
instructions as they are very detailed.

I've created the table, added field names and form fields etc. Now it's
time to do some individual formatting.

Everything has gone well until I got to the part about resizing individual
table cells. Even though the instructions didn't say to do so, I saved the
table after completing letter "e" at the top of page 11 of the document or
page 14 of the adobe document. (There are three "slush" pages at the
beginning of the document.) My form looks exactly like the illustration
towards to top of the page.

The instructions seem to imply that you can change the width of an
individual cell in the table without affecting the entire column width.

I've figured out that if there is a row that has merged cells in it, any
unmerged cells above it will apply the width to just those cells. The
problem is I can't seem to adjust the width for just one cell. When I try to
adjust just the right edge of a cell that's in the middle of three rows,
cells in all the three rows have the same adjusted width.

The illustration at the bottom of the page shows the middle row (Company
Name) as being expanded, while the same colum above and below it remain
unchanged.

How do I adjust the individual cell width without affecting other cells? I
can see that this is a very useful feature that would distinguish Word from
Excel when you create a form.

I hope this isn't too convoluted a question, but I wanted to give as much
background as possible.

I sincerely thank you for any help as this is driving me nuts.....

Fred