Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Opening a new Word document problem

Offhand, it sounds like the font you're using is displaying the pilcrow (¶)
as the _ character. If this is the case, then pressing Ctrl+Shift+* should
toggle the character's display on/off.

Are you used to seeing ¶ or are you used to seeing nothing at all? What font
is being used? Did you recently change the default font?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Pat" wrote in message
When I open Word to create a new document there is now what looks like an
underline symbol( __ ) at the top left of the page, just below the
blinking
cursor. It has never been there before and I have used Word for years
creating documents, so I have accidentally done something to cause it to
appear. It moves down a line each time I use "enter." What did I do and
how do I get rid of it? Many thanks.