Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Word 2007 crash

I am not sure that you can - you need to sort this out with the University's
IT support and get them to update the file to make it usable by students
with 2007.

jacame wrote:
The problem is that the document cannot be opened from word. It is a
link to a document at the university I have tried to open the
document a variety of ways: new window, save target as (with the goal
of then going file open) all unsuccessfully the university website
will not allow download any other way. so I am back to the original
question How do I get word 2007 not to crash as soon as I try to take
any action on a 2003 document opened as a link????

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You will have to open it from Word if you wish to use the repair
function. The little arrow is attached to the Open button in the
file open dialog!

jacame wrote:
I open the files as a link which opens Word 2007 itself, So the open
dialog does not come into it (at least I don't think so - not very
computer smart) I had a look at the file open dialog and could not
see an arrow near open am I blind? I could not see a repair option
on anything.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Start with http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
When you next open the document, from the file open dialog, click
the tiny arrow to the right of the open button and select open and
repair. Does that allow you to open it then print/save it without
problem?

jacame wrote:
I regularly import files from my lecturer who uses 2003 to use for
study. Problem is that every time I import the file and Word opens
in compatability mode it crashes as soon as I try to save or print
the document (these are usually the only actions I take with the
docs) The version of Office I have is 2007 Ultimate (the one
offered to Uni students to download for $75) I am starting to
think I should have saved my money. Can anyone help?