Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arlene Arlene is offline

Default Posted Word07 file changes to zip file

Thank you so much for the links. Bottom line and easiest resolution after
experimenting seems to be to rename the file name extension from docx to doc
to get the file to download in one step and open directly in Word 2007.
However, changing the extension to doc does not make it compatible with Word
2003 and it will not open in Word 2003 just because the extension has been
changed. Another workaround would be in Word 2007 to do a Save As to save as
a *doc file and then it would download in one step and open in either Word
2003 or Word 2007. Did I get it right?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As usual in such a situation, I turned to Google (as I know this has been
discussed). I searched for ".docx .zip," and, interestingly, many of the
hits on the first page were answers to your question!

There's an article at
http://joeanderson.co.uk/blog/2006/0...ntling-a-docx/ that talks a
little about this. There's a more technical discussion at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa982683.aspx. The bottom line is
that the .docx format combines several components in a wrapper similar to a
..zip archive. If you rename the .docx as .zip, you can open it with WinZip
or the like and extract the separate components, which allows you to edit
the XML directly. At this point, I've told you more than I actually
understand, so you're on your own from here!

"Arlene" wrote in message
That did it. Thanks. I know Word very well, but I've never heard anyone
say
that a docx file is a zip file. Is there any article you can recommend
that
will explain this a bit more? I've posted other docx files without issue.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As I understand it, a .docx file *is* a .zip file. If you just change the
file extension, you should be able to open it normally.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message
It could be something that the host site does for files over a certain
size. Did you ask them?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Arlene" wrote in message
I posted a very large file saved as a *.docx file in Word 2007. When
the
hyperlink to download, open/save the file is clicked, the file shows
up
as a
*.zip file and cannot be opened. The File Download window has this
message:
Do you want to open or save this file? Name: WSR_Speech_Module.zip;
Type:
Compressed (zipped) Folders, 5.78MB.

You can find the file at
http://gdpkeyboarding.com/Enrichment...rd2 007_Vista