Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Problem deleting old Word file after save as to new file name

Did you overlook the fact that OP asked "_Shouldn't_ Word [do such and
such]"? I provided a very reasonable reason why Word "shouldn't" by
default, out-of-the-box, provide the idiosyncratic behavior that OP
needs.

On Sep 3, 5:48*pm, Gordon Bentley-Mix on news.microsoft.com gordon
(dot)bentleymix(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
But clearly this *isn't* the behaviour that the OP wants, or he/she wouldn't
have a macro designed to do otherwise.

Peter, your post is in no way helpful. When will you learn that the way you
prefer to work isn't necessarily the way others do? It's blatantly obvious
that the OP is not "most people" - and more importantly, not you. The
implicit message in your post is that the OP is doing something "wrong" and
shouldn't be trying to solve this problem because doing it the "right" way
(read: your way) would avoid the problem entirely. This is incorrect. The OP
is doing nothing "wrong"; he/she simply wants to do work in a way that meets
his/her needs and is looking for help with overcoming an impediment to this
process.

Pull your head in and stop providing "non-answers" to questions outside of
your very limited area of expertise.
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup.

Read the original version of this post in the Office Discussion Groups - no
membership required!

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
That seems like the behavior most people would want -- usually when
you Save As, it's because you want two copies of the file with
different names, so it protects you from accidentally deleting the
original.

On Sep 3, 2:56 pm, Bouncinalong
wrote:
I have a macro that saves a Word form as another filename (SaveAs) in another
folder on a network drive and I use the filesystemobject to delete the old
file from the original folder after the "save as" is complete. *It works fine
on some PC's but others won't let the file be deleted. *It appears that Word
still has a handle to the original file after the save as is complete which
won't let me delete the old file (I also can't delete them manually using
Windows Explorer until I close the instance of Word). *Shouldn't Word let go
of the original file after a "save as" is completed? *Is this a registry
issue?