Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default MS Word Alternative

Hi Don,

Perhaps if you & your staff learned how to use Word correctly, you'd have fewer productivity issues - indeed you might find
productivity increasing.

Given your work situation, the proper implementation of appropriately-formatted templates for the various kinds of documents you
need, plus training in how to use Styles, Autotext and Word's other productivity features, would be a great boon.

--
Cheers
macropod

"HAD IT UP TO HERE" wrote in message
..hmm
Thank you for the reply, but I think you might have been a little sarcastic.
The first thing Works displays is "Brochure" and "Party Invitation" .

"Business" means headers, footers, and citations. Words does have a lot of
features but it tries to be something to everyone. For a multi-level heading
serious document, it is too clumsy, even in the 2008 iteration.

We are going to make a serious effort to find some that "works", pun
intended, including WP.

Thanks
Don Lowrey

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

Microsoft Works 9
http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/default.mspx

"HAD IT UP TO HERE" HAD IT UP TO wrote in message
MS Word is a Rube Goldberg machine.

I write business documents. I don't write pretty party invitations or have
pastel backgrounds in my docs. I can program in 2 languages plus VBA, and
I'm a tax lawyer. Complex I know.

Nevertheless, I spend half of my time in Word mucking with formatting
instead of drafting. My employees are less skilled, and even after
impelmenting the work arounds posted here; they waste more time formatting
than in doing other document processing tasks.

Word is costing me big bucks in lost productivity.

And it's not just me. No one that I know is happy with Word.
Does anyone know of another product that does numbering, doesn't try to make
me design "pretty"; and lets "not so technical" employees get my work done?

signed
HAD IT UP TO HERE