Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Index question

Hi Susan

Susan Flamingo wrote:
I am creating an index for a long document. If I understand correctly I
add an index entry and word will create an index automaticly when I am
finished with a refernce to where that entry is in the final document,
i.e. the page number. However what I would prefer is that it refer to a
chapter and section number. I use a "chapter style" at the beginning of
each chapter and each section has a heading "section 1, section 2 etc".
How can I have word create the based on my chapters and sections and not
on page numbers?

Version of Word? To what targets are you creating index entries?

If these are headings, you don't want XE/INDEX, but a TOC field.

If these are something else: I don't think there is an out-of-the-box
method in Word to achieve that. Maybe you find one if you look at the
description of XE and INDEX fields in offline Word in your version of Word.

Why do you want it that way, though? I can't imagine it will make the
reader's life easier – on the contrary: he'll find a page number much
faster in a printed manual compared to a (sub)heading ...

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS