Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Default Numbering resets to 0 on printing long document

Hi ?B?c3d0cGF0b290eQ==?=,

I'm not really an expert on numbering, and I've never heard of this particular
problem. But since you haven't gotten a reply yet, I'll give it a go (and
maybe someone else with an idea will see this when it bubbles back to the top
of the list).

Make a copy of the document, in case something goes wrong with our tests.

1. If you delete this last section of numbering, will the rest of the document
print correctly every time?

2. Is this numbering "Auto numbering" or does it use fields (such as SEQ or
ListNum)?

3. Is the problem happening with only the one file, or with most/all of the
files you generate in this manner?

4. Does the problem occur only with text you're pulling in from one source? Or
is it just generally the last set of numbering in the document?

5. Have you tried printing to a totally different kind of printer, to make
sure it's not a problem with the printer?

6. Which version of Word are we dealing with?

Our word processors are using a single document and inserting templates
and/or documents into it as they transcribe a series of reports and
correspondence. Some of the templates and words have numbered sequences in
them. (No, we're not using sections, just page breaks, and manually
inserting headers for second pages as needed.) The typists are careful to
restart numbering in lists whenever needed. When the documents are printed
the first time, they come out fine. When they are printed the SECOND time,
however, the last page containing a numbered list comes out with all the
numbers as 0, instead of the way it appeared the first time printed.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org