Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Switching dot for comma on dot key of keypad

Interesting. I have both Word 2007 and Word 2003 on my PC (which may account
for the difference) but if I switch to a Greek Keyboard (I live in a Greek
speaking country) the period on the numeric keyboard produces a comma in
both Word 2003 and 2007.

I added the Portuguese input language and Portuguese (Portugal) keyboard and
in this instance, the period was not substituted for a comma in either
version. I then added the Portuguese (Brazilian) keyboard to the Portuguese
input language and this time the period was substituted - again in both
versions. Clearly the keyboard and language settings are crucial. I don't
know what the difference is between the Portuguese and Brazilian keyboard
patterns is, but you can always add the alternative keyboard and switch
between them at will.

tedmi wrote:
This works in 2007, but not in 2003. In older versions of Word, the
period on the numpad always inputs a period, regardless of regional
settings.

This is an adjustment in Windows -- Start Control Panel Regional
and Language Options. The first panel you see lets you change the
defaults for things like date format and number format.