Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Switching dot for comma on dot key of keypad

You can setup two keyboards and switch quickly between them when you are
using the key pad.Whether this is a bug or 'by design' I cannot say.

jal wrote:
So this seems to be a portuguese_pt oddity (bug or bad decision).
Really, It didn't make sense.

Switching keyboards may not do because Brazilian keyboard is
different. However I may try to ask Microsoft to make Portuguese
keyboard act as the others. I really didn't know that other keyboards
worked correctly.

Thanks very much for your help.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Interesting. I have both Word 2007 and Word 2003 on my PC (which may
account for the difference) but if I switch to a Greek Keyboard (I
live in a Greek speaking country) the period on the numeric keyboard
produces a comma in both Word 2003 and 2007.

I added the Portuguese input language and Portuguese (Portugal)
keyboard and in this instance, the period was not substituted for a
comma in either version. I then added the Portuguese (Brazilian)
keyboard to the Portuguese input language and this time the period
was substituted - again in both versions. Clearly the keyboard and
language settings are crucial. I don't know what the difference is
between the Portuguese and Brazilian keyboard patterns is, but you
can always add the alternative keyboard and switch between them at
will.

tedmi wrote:
This works in 2007, but not in 2003. In older versions of Word, the
period on the numpad always inputs a period, regardless of regional
settings.

This is an adjustment in Windows -- Start Control Panel
Regional and Language Options. The first panel you see lets you
change the defaults for things like date format and number format.