Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default page numbers wrong

Hello Gorur

GORUR RAJU wrote:
I have a document with two column format. I get page numbers inserted as 1,
2, 2, 3, 4 etc. Why does page number 2 appear twice? I would be grateful for
help or advise.

this document does have one page number per page (not per column), right?

Page numbers are section properties in Word, and "number of columns"
are, too. That means especially when you are switching between 2 and 1
columns, each time there must be a section break. And each section may
or may not continue the numbering from the one before it, or start at
any given value.

To spot section breaks, you want to display non-printing characters.
When you tell us your version of Word, we can guide you to where these
options can be set, and also to the dialog that lets you adjust the page
numbering "format."

HTH
Robert
--