Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Kay_IT[_2_] Kay_IT[_2_] is offline

Default How do I save the default file format

Garfield I will try this on the problem machines,

Thanks
Kay

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

You did not answer my question. Frankly, I think this is an IT bug.
Try manually changing the value of the registry key I mentioned. If
that change is not retained upon startup/login, then something external
to Word is causing the problem. If that change is retained, then either
your users are using the wrong method to change the default file format
(as Terry alluded) or your users don't have sufficient permissions to
the registry key I mentioned.

Kay_IT wrote:

No, there are no group polocies set up and the users log in to their
computers as Administrators. The log in script has no effect on the registry
either.

Could this be an Office bug?

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

Do users have Full Control over the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0 \Word\Options\DefaultFormat
registry key? If yes, then there could be a group policy or login
script that is resetting the key upon restart or login. If users only
have Read access to this key, then that could be why the setting isn't
being saved.

Kay_IT wrote:

I support 80 users running Office 2007. If anyone of them tries to change
the default file format to .doc, after restarting the computer it reverts
back to .docx

I have checked with the system admin that there are no group policies set up
that might case this but he says none set up at all.

If anyone could help resolve this I would be hugely grateful as I have some
frustrated anti 2007 users.

Kay