Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Evan Evan is offline

Default Merge fields in Word pulling data from wrong Excel Columns. Help m

I've spent hours on this. It is driving me crazy. Any help would be
infinately, utterly, completely appreciated.

I am using mail merge with Office 2003 to print out customers order details.
I created a Word template with merge field codes that correspond to column
headings in an Excel file. When I do the merge, the merge field codes should
be populated with data from the corresponding Excel column. The problem is,
the data comes from seemingly random columns. To see what I mean, please
take a look at the following example.

First 3 of about 50 entries in Word:

Name: { MERGEFIELD "Last_Name" }
Item: { MERGEFIELD "Item" }
Fabric: { MERGEFIELD "Fabric" }

First 3 of about 50 headings in Excel:

Column A: Fabric
Column B: Collar
Column C: Cuff

Here is what it looks like after I merge:

Name: August 09
Item:
Fabric: Blue07

You can see Word is places data from the wrong columns in 2 of the 3 fields.
Why is this happening? How can I get the right data to appear in the right
fields?

Thank you so much for any help.