Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tony Jollans

Default Headers and Footers in Main Body with Table Breaks

Hi Sanket,

Basically what you want can't be done the way you suggest - and it means you
pre-empting Word's pagination and hoping that you get it right. What you
seem to want is some kind of report generation tool with multiple levels of
header and footer - unfortunately Word doesn't do this.

Before offering you a way of doing it might I suggest an alternative avenue
for investigation. I can't be precise without seeing exactly what you're
working with but consider putting each table in a separate section. Each
section can have its own headers and footers. The awkward bit here might be
adding your common headers and footers to the beginning and end respectively
of every section header and footer - but the end result ought to be what you
want.

Also before going any further - are your footers footers or footnotes - the
two are different and footnotes will print at the bottom of the page before
the page footer all by themselves.

Now for the promised way of putting non-table content in the middle of a
table without breaking the table into multiple smaller tables:

Insert a textbox in the first cell on the first row on the page.
In the Textbox Format Dialog, select the Colours and Lines tab and
Set the Line Colour to "No Line"
In the Textbox Format Dialog, select the Layout tab and click on Advanced
In the Text Wrapping tab, select "Top and Bottom" wrapping
In the Picture Position tab ...
Uncheck "Layout in Table Cell"
Set the Horizontal Absolute Position to, probably, zero to the right of
the cell
Set the Vertical Absolute Position to zero or a negative number
Size your textbox to fit your header
Enter your header content in the textbox
Pray.

Do someting similar for the footer
Pray again.

Repeat for every page.

There are variations on this theme that you can try. What you will find the
most awkward (especially programmatically) will be determining exactly which
rows will fall either side of the page breaks.

Good luck!

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"NewUser_Sanket" wrote in message
Hello Tony, Charles and others,

Both of you have asked me the purpose of my task. I work with SAS
programming language and SAS creates reports in RTF format. Now these

reports
are individual tables which are on average 3-4 pages long. With SAS, we

put
the title of the table in the header part of the RTF and some footnotes in
the footer part.

Lets say in an average there are 100 such reports. In the end we haave to
join all of them and still retain the Table titles and footnotes (as per
table) on each relevant page. Also, the final document will have a

different
header and footer. Now because there are different headers and fo oters

from
these 100 diferent reports, it is a pian with merging them into one.

The task I want to accomplish is for the header from the document to be a
part of the main document in each report and likewise with the footers.

The
table has to break itself accordingly and get the header into the document
and the footer below it in every page and the header and footer should be
deleted. This way when the document is merged with others, the final
document will retain the table names and footnotes for each table, while

at
the same time can have a common header and footer throughout.

I hope I have been clear.

Best regards,
Sanket