TF

Keith

The first point to note is that Header and Footer are styles. If you format
the Header and Footer styles to use the correct font and have the correct
tabs, inserting this information is dead simple.

The second point is that as most of this information in the headers and
footers is consistent, you should create a template for saving the styles
and pre-entering the header and footer information. No need to resort to
messy macros for this.

Path, Filename, Page x of y are all fields that will update dynamically for
each new document you create from the template. The string can be added by
using the IncludeText field, so that too will be automated.

Template is the way to go. For help on templates, see Creating Templates -
The Basics parts 1 and 2 at http://word.mvps.org/Tutorials/index.htm

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"KR" wrote in message
:I need to automate the insertion of headers and footers and link it to a
: macro or toolbar button. (insert text, then change the font and font size)
:
: The header would include (left justified) the document name; and in the
same
: line have (right justified) the page X of Y
: The footer would have 2 lines, starting with the path & filename then a
: custom string entered by the user in an input box. (both could be left
: justified, since they will be on separate lines).
:
: I know a long time ago (I might not have even been using Word at the time,
: to be honest) there were ways to have multiple justifications in
: headers/footers. Now I either have to insert a Format Paragraph/Tabs/Bar
: (which leaves an undesirable bar in the line) or mess with hovering over
the
: text until the cursor changes to various alignments.
:
: Seems like there has to be a better way.... can anyone tell me how to
insert
: my text and do everything via the keyboard so my macro recorder records it
: all?
:
: Thanks!!
: Keith
:
:
: --
: The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent
the
: thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my
: own.
:
: