As Terry implies, the Header and Footer styles have built-in tab stops to
facilitate what you want to do (a centered tab stop in the center of the
line, a right-aligned tab stop at the right margin). You can insert other
tabs as needed, but the bar tab is not the type you want; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm.

Once you have the information you need in a document, save it as a template
(.dot file) for reuse--no macros required.

"KR" wrote in message
I need to automate the insertion of headers and footers and link it to a
macro or toolbar button. (insert text, then change the font and font size)

The header would include (left justified) the document name; and in the

same
line have (right justified) the page X of Y
The footer would have 2 lines, starting with the path & filename then a
custom string entered by the user in an input box. (both could be left
justified, since they will be on separate lines).

I know a long time ago (I might not have even been using Word at the time,
to be honest) there were ways to have multiple justifications in
headers/footers. Now I either have to insert a Format Paragraph/Tabs/Bar
(which leaves an undesirable bar in the line) or mess with hovering over

the
text until the cursor changes to various alignments.

Seems like there has to be a better way.... can anyone tell me how to

insert
my text and do everything via the keyboard so my macro recorder records it
all?

Thanks!!
Keith

--
The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent

the
thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my
own.