Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chris Stammers

Default Skip Record If?

Graham,

Thanks for your help. It must have been a data input issue instead, which is
easier to solve!

Thanks again.

Regards,
Chris

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

There is no reason why two SKIPIF statements immediately following one
another at the start of the letter should not work as you intend and worked
satisfactorily in my tests here.

{SKIPIF {Mergefield field1} = "A"}{SKIPIF {Mergefield field2 \*Upper} =
"DOWNGRADE TO STANDARD COVER"}
or depending on what else might be in field2 you could get away with using
the leading unique characters and a wildcard e.g.

{SKIPIF {Mergefield field1} = "A"}{SKIPIF {Mergefield field2 \*Upper} =
"DOWN*"}

Chris Stammers wrote:
Hello,

I have tried to use the function you listed below and I got an error
message saying that 'Word could not parse the query into a valid SQL
string'. I don't know what to do next. I am trying to get a letter
not to print if one field = "A" and another field = "DOWNGRADE TO
STANDARD COVER" Can you suggest what I might be doing wrong? I have
tried using 'SKIP IF' however I don't know if multiple SKiP IF
statements in a document will work, so the filter function seemed a
better idea.

Thanks.
Chris

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Qg==?=,

I'm trying to set up a mail merge for labels in which there will be
column in the data source saying either "Yes" or "No" net to each
person's name. For the type of mailing I am currently doing I want
the people with "No" to be skipped and not have a label printed
out. I was trying to do this using "Skip Record If", but this
doesn't seem to work. I've tried it in both Word XP and Word 2000
and I can't get it to work right. I am also using a "Next Record"
field in the label set up. Are these two fields incompatible with
each other? Something I read in Word 2000's online help seemed to
suggest that they are. If so what would be the best way to do
this?

Word 2000: click the "Mail merge..." button on the mail merge
toolbar. Click "Query options". Set up a filter to merge to only
those records where this particular field is "Yes" (or "No").

do NOT use Skip If; but you will need the Next field in all labels
but the first.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)