Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Zhao Zhao is offline

Default Document switch to become Read-Only when it's not suppose to

The problem seems disappeared so far after the Network Magic (Pure Networks)
is uninstalled. Thank you for your help.

Zhao

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Uninstall all third party add-ins and macros. Until you have removed them,
you won't know if they are the cause of the problem. Digital signing has
nothing to do with this: it just means they are certified as being genuine
macros from Adobe and Pure Networks but it doesn't mean they are compatible
with the applications.

In fact, knowing what Pure Networks can do, it could certainly be causing
the problem you are experiencing.

Terry

"Zhao" wrote in message
I checked the add-ins in the word program, and I disabled the two add-ins
(winfax and bluetooth, only these two) in my office program, but the
problem
is still there sometimes.

by the way, i also found two macros in my word program (adobe and pure
networks) but these two macros are digitally signed by microsoft.

Zhao

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

I'm having a similar thread on another Word NG. My current thoughts are
these...

If the document is opened and saved (but NOT closed), even IF Word was
adding the Read Only attribute, it should not affect the current editing
session because the user has not closed and reopened the document. It
should
remain editable and save should work until the user has closed the
document.

Once the document is closed and reopened, it will be Read Only and the
Read
Only password prompt will pop up on opening. Then the user will be able
continue editing and saving.

My conclusion is that there MUST be an incompatible third party add-in
that
is substituting Word's SaveAs macro with a custom macro that is not only
adding a Read Only attribute to the document, but is making the open
document Read Only immediately. I don't know how that can be done, but it
must be through VBA coding as it isn't possible with the tools that I can
see in Word.

So I suggest that you look at third party add-ins that you have.

Terry

"Zhao" wrote in message
I have the same problem too. i am using office 2007 in Win XP Pro
enviroment.
When i first click "save" it is ok, but when i click "save" second
times
(sometimes third times or so), it becomes "Read Only" mode. It can be
sovled
for a while after the word program is closed, and then repeat. very
painful!
Please fix it.

Zhao

"Lenny" wrote:

I'm having problems with all of my documents switching to Read-Only
thus
making it impossible to Save. I have to Save As and then delete the
original
document and rename the new document to its previous name making it an
inconvenience.

Sometimes, in the beginning when I open the document I'm able to save
normally, then it switches to Read-Only which is a pain.

Please Help Me!
Thanks