Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dawn Crosier

Default ~DF####.tmp files ??

Word creates temporary files to help keep track of the changes you are
making. If you are unable to delete them, it is generally because
Word has them in use. Once you save and close your documents, Word
will typically clean up after itself. However, if Word unexpectedly
closes the temp files can help recover part of your work.

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/LockedFiles.htm for further
explanation regarding how temp files can help.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

"LucyB(UK)" wrote in message
Why are ~DF####.tmp files being created in C:\Documents and
Settings\User1\Local Settings\Temp.

Ive reinstalled Office2000 after a reformat and never had these
files being created before but they seem to be connected some way to
Word because a new one gets created everytime Word is opened. The
strange thing is they are being created a few times daily as well
even though Word/Office is not being used neither is any Office
component that Im aware of set to run at start up. I can manually
delete all but the most recent one because it is "being used by
another person or program".

What are these tmp files? Can I find out whats creating them? Can I
stop them from being created?

Thanks
LB(UK)