Nelson Moffat

Default numbering_request clarifying

W2k, Word 2003
I have read Shauna Kelly's wonderful attempt to straighten out the
Word numbering morass, and am trying to adapt it to my needs.

I am scanning, OCR'ing 50 year old docs and converting them to Word
files. Most of these are minutes of meetings, with most paragraphs
numbered and sub-paragraphs limited to (usually) 1. She suggests
revising built-in heading styles to accomodate this. I don't really
want to change the first few built-in heading styles because they are
useful on different documents. I simply want to make "normal"
paragraphs with normal fonts into paragraphs to which I can apply a
numbering scheme.

Following her lead, I chose to use Heading styles 6, 7, and 8 and
convert them to this use, using her plan to base 6 on "no style", 7 on
style 6, and so on. But if that is the correct approach, what level do
I select for #6 which is my top level for the numbering scheme, which
I want to be "1", "a" and "i", or something similar, and will yield no
indent for level 1, about .4" for level 2, with following lines after
each not indented but brought out to the indent level of the altest
number.

In reading this over, I'm not making myself clear. I want to be able
to apply a style to a paragraph of my choosing and have it be numbered
"1" and then to be able to choose whether the next paragraph will be
"a" or back to "normal". I can adjust the amount of indent etc. if I
understand how best to create the styles, if her suggestion is the
best to use in my case.

Thanks!