Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tim of Calgary Tim of Calgary is offline

Default Word 2003

This is a real issue with Word. It applies in 2K too.

What I did for this sort of problem is use the autotext "-yo" to replace
with "-year-old"; this avoids the whole number problem, since the number
exemption doesn't seem to be applied in this case. Also, since the hyphen
usually appears at the beginning anyway, you just type it rather than macro
it.

That way you also avoid problems like year-olduths.

The issue appears to have something to do with handling of things like
ordinals (23rd), but as an end user I can't suss it out much further.

Hope this works without too much hassle;

Tim.

"AttractiveMT" wrote:

Word 2003/autocorrect is giving me a hard time. I am a medical
transcriptionist and rely on expansions, some say macros. A while back I
asked this question, how do I make yo expand to -year-old using my
autocorrect. You cannot just put it in and use replace with. Last time, I
had to use the semicolon to make it expand 53;yo would expand to 53-year-old.
I made a mistake and deleted it and now it no longer works when I just put
in autocorrect yo for and replace with -year-old. This is the only expansion
that I know of that needs a helper like a semicolon to expand. Could someone
please help me.