Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Office 2003 and 2007 on same machine

The two Word versions share some registry entries, including file
association, so you need to stop Word 2007 from grabbing the entries when it
starts. See http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

Stan Brown wrote:
Hi. I'm posting to a Word an an Excel group, because I suspect and
hope the answer is the same but fear it might not be.

At work yesterday I installed Office 2007 (except Outlook) on the
same computer where I had office 2003. I'm still able to open and run
Excel 2003 and Word 2003, but when I double-click on an .RTF or .DOC
or .XLS file the 2007 program opens.

I want to retain the 2003 file associations for all file types that
Office 2003 can cope with. I thought I could do this with "Open
With..." and selecting the 2003 programs through browsing, but
unfortunately Windows ignores that selection.

My question: how can I set things up so that Office 2007 opens .docx
and .xlsx files when I double-click them, but Office 2003 opens .doc
and .rtf and .xls files when I double-click them?