Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BCP BCP is offline

Default Clicking .doc file in explorer opens Word 2007 not word 2007

Thank you Graham, I followed your very clear instructions to edit the
registry and then I restarted the machine and then ran Word 2003. However, it
seems to have made no difference to my problem.

When I go to Windows Explorer Tools Folder Options File Types it
looks no different from before, I go to Change and then Browse to Program
Files/Office 2003/office11\winword.exe and then click Open and then OK, the
File Types box then has "Doc file" for the extension DOC instead of
"Microsoft Office Word 97 - 2003 Document". If I then click Close it saves
that setting but the .doc file still opens in Word 2007. Sorry.... am I
doing something wrong?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm which explains the
registry changes you will need to make, and then having run Word 2003, you
can make the changes to the file association manually via Windows Explorer
Tools Folder Options File Types to open DOC files with Word 2003 XLS
with Excel 2003 etc.

BCP wrote:
I'm using Win XP Home and had Office 2007 installed first on this PC,
but decided not to use this as I hated it and so installed Office
2003 instead. I would like, if possible, to keep Office 2007 on the
PC as well but mainly use office 2003.

At the moment I can run Word 2003 and open old .doc files from within
it and they open fine, but what I can't do is run Word 2003 by
clicking .doc files in Windows Explorer, Word 2007 opens each time.
(The same happens with Excel 2003/2007 and .xls files).

I have tried changing the file association info in File Types, but
this looks as if it's all ok and should run Word 2003 when opening
the .doc file, but it doesn't - it always runs Word 2007. This is
really annoying and I really want to change it.

Thanks