You can do this yourself manually. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm. I believe the tab stop
in the TOC styles is set dynamically when you generate a TOC using Insert |
Reference | Index and Tables, so using the TOC styles might not be the best
approach after all.

"Peter Bookman" Peter wrote in message
I can see how I can choose TOC-styles under "New Style -- Style based on"
but how do I get the tab leader to show up? It asks for the "tab stop
position", what does that refer to? And finally, how do I enter the page
numbers, so that they are right-aligned?
I've studied the training chapters on "styles and formatting" but found no
explanation of this. Someone please help,
TIA, :-)

PB.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You could start by using the built-in TOC styles, which already have a

tab
at the right margin with a period leader.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Peter Bookman" Peter wrote in

message
How can I manually create a TOC that does not require the actual

document
as
reference?

I have authored a music method book using a music notation program. I

want
to use Word to create the TOC.

I was hoping that there would be a layout style or other tool that

would
allow me to do that.
TIA,
PB.