Default how to have no page numbers on pages

For documents omitting page numbers on more than the first page, you need a
section break. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm for details.
Note that, while it is not necessary to unlink sections to restart numbering
or
change the number format, it *is* necessary to unlink them if you want to
leave a header/footer blank.

"richards" wrote in message
news
Thanks for answering my first question. the problem is that when I
followed
the instructions I can't get it to work. I have a document that I want

the
first two pages not to number. I view header footer, then click page

setup
button, I check the different first page box, you see that you now have a
separate first page header and footer. Then I check this section only.

then
the instructions say I can leave them empty and there will be no page

number
on that page. I do this for the second page as well. Then on the third

page,
I go to page setup and do the same thing except I choose from this point
forward. I then go to format page number and check start with 1. I then

hit
insert page number. the third page starts with 1 and continues through

the
document with the correct page numbers. the problem is that when I have

done
all this, it will also put page number in my first two pages. How do I

stop
the first two pages from automatically number. Help someone. I know I

must
be doing something really stupid for it not to be working like it says it
should.