Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bevdotcom Bevdotcom is offline

Default Word 2007 Mail Merge

I appreciate both your and Mr. Mayor's comments. The Outlook approach does
currently work for me and I am doomed to use it since the Word approach just
stopped working. I am very happy to have at least one way to do what needs
to be done. You mentioned that "the other approach has not been maintained"
referring to Word I suppose. Could you eloborate? I would like to
understand why Word would have worked perfectly for several months and then
just quit! Could it be that some recent update to Office 2007 or the like
just stepped on the Mail Merge feature?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Personally I think "Initiate from Outlook" is the way to go, but mainly
because the other approach has not been maintained.
If you were used to selecting a contacts folder from Word and could do
everything you wanted that way, it would be few steps than
a. possibly opening Outlook (which not everyne keeps open)
b. or switching to Outlook
c. opening the contacts folder (because you do have to select some
contacts)
d. selecting
e. using Tools|Mail merge... and making sure you've set all the options you
need
f. etc.

In fact, if you could successfully save your regular mail merge main
documents with the correct Contacts folder attached (without going through
that contacts folder selection thing every time) then it would be even
easier, and how most people who primarily work in Word probably actually
want to do merges most of the time. If you mostly work in Outlook, things
would obviously look a lot different.

Just my 2c-worth...

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Bevdotcom wrote:
Read your idea of using Outlook as starting point instead of Word and
in fact it works. Still bothered though about why Word doesn't all
of a sudden. Perferred Word because it was less steps to accomplish
selecting names from my list. Any ideas.

Fewer steps? You select the entries you want to merge in Outlook before
you run the merge then merge all of them. If you use Outlook's filtering
it becomes far more simple to start from Outlook
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm