Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cocciastella cocciastella is offline

Default How do I get symbols to display in mail merge

Doug,

Thank you for responding. I had an earlier post on this issue when I looked
for a response I did not see it so I reposted this question. I responded to
the previous question and here to you.
I am creating the datasource as a text (.txt) file and when am in word and
go throught the mail merge routine and select recipients as the txt
datasource all is good and it merges with the symbols. But when the merge is
called from the user interface and the program executes the merge I get
square boxes a backwards squiggly E for copyright and registered trademark
and a large dot for the trademark. characters. I use the Progress language
and the font is Tahoma.

Lonnie
"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You can use the txt file itself as the datasource and if it contains those
symbols, they will appear in the merged output.

--
Hope this helps

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to avail yourself of my
services on a paid, professional basis.

"cocciastella" wrote in message
How do I get symbols to display in mail merge.
The symbols are the copyright, registered tradmark and tradmark. They are
not in a specific place but could be anywhere. I have tried saving the
txt
datasource to rtf format and then inserting into word doc so the
datasource
is a word doc but the symbol is corrupted from the text to to the rtf. In
the
text datasource it looks like:

"Report1","Subject1", ...
"xxReport","Itemxxx® description",... Which is correct.

I can't understand why word does not recognize these symbols. I get a
backwards
squiggly E. instead. I set the language to be English. Do I need to
change
the code page? How is that be done?

Thank you

Thanks!